When it comes to eyewear, finding the right pair can be a challenge. Not only do you want a pair that looks great, but you also want a pair that complements your face shape. One style of glasses that has become increasingly popular in recent years is cat-eye glasses. These glasses are known for their unique shape and can be a great choice for those who want to make a statement with their eyewear. In this article, we'll explore the world of cat-eye glasses and face shape and provide tips on how to choose the perfect pair.
What are cat-eye glasses?
Cat-eye glasses are a style of eyewear that became popular in the 1950s and 1960s. They are characterized by their upswept shape, which gives them a distinctive cat-like appearance. The frames are typically thicker on the top and thinner on the bottom, with a slight curve at the corners. Cat-eye glasses can be made from a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, and acetate.
How do cat-eye glasses complement different face shapes?
One of the great things about cat-eye glasses is that they can complement a variety of different face shapes. However, some face shapes may be more suited to this style of glasses than others. Generally, cat-eye glasses work well on faces that are:
- Heart-shaped: Cat-eye glasses can help to balance out a wider forehead and draw attention to the eyes.
- Oval-shaped: Cat-eye glasses can add some definition to an oval face shape and create a more angular look.
- Square-shaped: Cat-eye glasses can soften the angles of a square face shape and add some femininity.
- Diamond-shaped: Cat-eye glasses can help to balance out a narrow forehead and a wider cheekbone area.
How to choose the perfect pair of cat-eye glasses for your face shape
When choosing cat-eye glasses, it's important to consider your face shape and choose a pair that will complement your features. Here are some tips for choosing the perfect pair:
- Determine your face shape: Take a look in the mirror and determine what your face shape is. This will help you to choose a pair of glasses that will flatter your features.
- Consider the size of the frames: Cat-eye glasses come in a variety of sizes, so it's important to choose a pair that is proportional to your face.
- Look for frames that are the opposite of your face shape: If you have a round face, look for frames that are more angular. If you have a square face, look for frames that are more rounded.
- Think about the color: Choose a color that complements your skin tone and hair color. Neutral colors like black and tortoise are always a safe choice, but don't be afraid to try something bold and colorful.
- Try on different styles: Don't be afraid to try on different styles of cat-eye glasses to see what looks best on you. Some frames may be too bold or too small, so it's important to find a pair that you feel comfortable wearing.
Factors to consider when choosing cat-eye glasses
In addition to your face shape, there are other factors to consider when choosing cat-eye glasses. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Comfort: Make sure that the glasses fit comfortably on your face and don't slide down your nose.
- Quality: Look for glasses that are made from high-quality materials and are built to last.
- Price: Cat-eye glasses can range in price from affordable to high-end designer frames, so it's important to choose a pair that fits your budget.
- Prescription: If you need prescription glasses, make sure that the lenses are made to your exact specifications.
Popular styles of cat-eye glasses
There are many different styles of cat-eye glasses to choose from, each with its own unique look. Here are some popular styles:
- Classic cat-eye: This style features a classic upswept shape and is a timeless choice.
- Oversized cat-eye: This style features larger frames and is a great choice for those who want to make a statement.
- Retro cat-eye: This style features a vintage-inspired design and is perfect for those who love retro fashion.
- Modern cat-eye: This style features a more contemporary look and is a great choice for those who want a more updated version of the classic cat-eye.
How to style cat-eye glasses
Cat-eye glasses can be styled in a variety of ways, depending on your personal style. Here are some ideas:
- Vintage-inspired: Pair your cat-eye glasses with a vintage-inspired outfit for a retro look.
- Bold and colorful: Choose a pair of cat-eye glasses in a bold and colorful frame to make a statement.
- Minimalist: Keep it simple by pairing your cat-eye glasses with a minimalist outfit for a chic and understated look.
- Glamorous: Channel your inner Hollywood starlet by pairing your cat-eye glasses with a glamorous outfit and bold red lipstick.
Tips for wearing cat-eye glasses
Here are some tips for wearing cat-eye glasses:
- Keep the rest of your makeup simple: Since cat-eye glasses are already a statement piece, it's best to keep the rest of your makeup simple. A swipe of mascara and some neutral eyeshadow can be enough to complete the look.
- Consider your hairstyle: Cat-eye glasses can work with a variety of hairstyles, but it's best to avoid styles that cover up the frames. A sleek ponytail or a half-up, half-down style can be a great choice.
- Choose the right outfit: Cat-eye glasses can work with a variety of outfits, but it's important to choose an outfit that complements the frames. A simple white t-shirt and jeans can be a great choice for a casual look, while a vintage-inspired dress can be perfect for a more formal occasion.
- Be confident: Cat-eye glasses can be a bold choice, but don't be afraid to own the look and be confident in your choice of frames.
The history of cat-eye glasses
Cat-eye glasses first became popular in the 1950s and 1960s, during the height of the post-war era. The upswept shape of the frames was inspired by the feline shape of a cat's eye, and the style quickly became a favorite among women of all ages. Cat-eye glasses were often worn with vintage-inspired clothing, such as full skirts and petticoats, and were a popular choice for formal occasions.
During the 1970s and 1980s, cat-eye glasses fell out of favor as more modern styles of eyewear became popular. However, in recent years, the style has made a comeback, with many designers creating their own modern interpretations of the classic cat-eye shape.
Cat-eye glasses in pop culture
Cat-eye glasses have been a popular choice in pop culture for many years. They have been worn by iconic actresses such as Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe, and have been featured in countless movies and TV shows.
In recent years, cat-eye glasses have made appearances in popular shows like Mad Men and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, as well as in music videos by artists like Ariana Grande and Katy Perry.
The future of cat-eye glasses
While cat-eye glasses have been around for decades, they continue to be a popular choice for those who want to add a touch of vintage-inspired glamour to their look. As fashion trends continue to evolve, it's likely that we'll see new interpretations of the classic cat-eye shape emerge, while still keeping the timeless and elegant look that has made them a favorite for so many years.